Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Looking Glass

The imagination is quite amazing, don't you think? The great thing about books is that 1000 people could read them and each would imagine different physical features of the objects in the book.

      Well my (David) perception of what a delivery room would look like was probably based on TV shows. Where you have the see thru glass as everyone is watching the baby be delivered, and the Papa is inside holding his (hopefully) wife's hand while she's having contractions and pushing, and is in lots of pain and sweating, all in all like a controlled laboratory environment.

      When we walked into the delivery room on Wednesday, it was exactly not what I had thought. A bed with a drip machine on one side and monitors on another. A TV in the back middle and 2 lights on top. A curtain in front of door as it opens. A sink a bit from the bed (where the laptop would rest) and a chair on the other side of the room (a place to sit for the queasy no doubt). Where was the looking glass so we could examine the subject?

      It was a lot cozier than I thought! We had Dr. Gopal, 2 nurses, Amy,myself,Katie, and 2 other nurses at times. Amy was in a bit of pain (before the Epideral) but afterwords she wasn't cringing at all, until she was pushing. Considering how big Matthew was she didn't show the pain as much I had imagined she would. And, contrary to many stories I've heard from folks, she wasn't yelling at me defiantly "This is your fault" and the like.

      It was exactly not how I thought it would be. But looking back now it's exactly as I wish it were.



1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree! not what I expected... but it was perfect!